Saturday 25 January 2020

My Top 5 Albums of 2019

Just as I did last week, I'm taking this weekend off from the 30-day book challenge, as I feel I need the time to rest and get a head start on the posts for next week. However, I still wanted to write a little something less demanding for this blog today.

So as a break from the more serious, book-related posts, today we're going to do something completely different: a list of my favourite musical albums released in 2019. Although I've posted plenty of lists on blogs before, I don't normally write much about music, as I feel it's not a topic I know much about - unless of course I'm feeling angry about Taylor Swift, which prompted me to write my last music-based list post. So this post will just be my favourite albums of the last decade, not necessarily the ones I think are objectively the best (if there even is such a thing). It's also a bit late in the month to be doing an annual roundup, but ignore that. As someone once famously said, it's my blog and I'll post what I want to.

Now, let's get into the list. I've put these in ascending order, so number one is my ultimate favourite album of the year.

Top 5 Albums of 2019


5. Clarity - Kim Petras

I mentioned Kim Petras briefly in my aforementioned previous music post, and I stand by my cringy-but-true statement that "she makes absolute bops". There are plenty of fun, danceable tracks on this album, as you would expect from such a reliably catchy artist, like "Clarity" and "Got My Number". On the other hand, songs like "Icy" and "Personal Hell" look at the emotional vulnerability that can exist underneath a cool façade. Come for the infectious rhythms, stay for the feelings.

Favourite song: "Personal Hell"



4. Cuz I Love You - Lizzo

This album contains several of Lizzo's recent hits, including "Juice" and "Truth Hurts" - both memorable tracks, beloved for their messages of self-love and positivity. Yet songs like "Crybaby" and "Exactly How I Feel (ft. Gucci Mane)" don't shy away from the fact that even Lizzo has her bad days. Still, she always comes back to her signature theme of acceptance and confidence, making this one of my favourite feel-good albums. 

Favourite song: "Jerome"


3. Love + Fear  - MARINA

Love + Fear marks MARINA's return to music after a three year hiatus that started in 2016, after the release of her last album Froot. She might be performing under a different name now (the artist was previously known as Marina and the Diamonds), and the scope of her music has at times broadened to include the whole of humanity (as in "To Be Human"), but her music is as unique and deeply-felt as ever.

Favourite song: "You"




2. Norman Fucking Rockwell! - Lana Del Rey

This has been one of Lana Del Rey's most critically-acclaimed albums to date, and for good reason. It's got the classic glamour-coated melancholy we know and love, this time presented in a little over an hour's worth of musically-gorgeous songs with some truly brilliant lyrics.

Favourite song: "Fuck it I love you"


1. Dedicated - Carly Rae Jepsen

If the only Carly Rae Jepsen song you know of is still "Call Me Maybe", you need to catch up. Since the release of her album Emotion in 2015, she's been consistently putting out songs that perfectly mix contemporary and retro pop into a combination that I honestly believe marks the zenith of modern music. I thought Emotion couldn't possibly be topped, but Dedicated proved me wrong.

Favourite song: "Want You in My Room"


So, those were my favourite albums of 2019. There are two conclusions to be drawn from this exercise: 1. Even if 2019 was not a good year for the general state of the world, it was great for music; and 2. I love pop music. If you'd like to listen to these albums for yourself, an easy way to do so is to listen to the Spotify playlist I created that contains all five of them in one easy-to-listen-to collection. See the bottom of this post for the link.

Finally, If anyone reading this wants to share their favourite album(s) of 2019 with me, I'd be very interested to hear them. You can let me know either by commenting here or by messaging me directly, as I know most of you who read this have a way of getting in touch with me personally. 

Have a good weekend, everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment