Wednesday 29 January 2020

My Favourite Writer // 30-Day Book Challenge - Day 13

Today is the thirteenth day of the 30-day book challenge, in which I will be writing about a different book or book series every day for 30 days, with each book chosen according to the daily prompt. Today's prompt is: "your favourite writer".

As some of you may or may not have noticed, I've fallen a little behind in my blog posting during this challenge. I would like to say that this is due to me going out every night and living it up in the city, but in reality it's due to a combination of laziness and forgetfulness. 

Today's post is meant to focus on "your favourite writer", and as said writer is a historical figure I worship as something akin to a deity, I would hate to dishonour her legacy by writing a post about her that was even more mediocre than my usual content simply because I was rushing. However, I still want to get this post up on time. So as a compromise, I have decided that this post will be a collection of quotes by said writer, which I hope will let their brilliance speak for themselves.

With all that out of the way, I would like to present to you my favourite writer of all time: Virginia Woolf.


13 Quotes by Virginia Woolf 

1. “Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."

2.  “No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anybody but oneself.” 

3. “Fiction is like a spider's web, attached ever so lightly perhaps, but still attached to life at all four corners.”

4. “Why does Samuel Butler say, 'Wise men never say what they think of women'? Wise men never say anything else apparently.” 

5. “When I cannot see words curling like rings of smoke round me I am in darkness—I am nothing.” 

6. “How much better is silence; the coffee cup, the table. How much better to sit by myself like the solitary sea-bird that opens its wings on the stake. Let me sit here for ever with bare things, this coffee cup, this knife, this fork, things in themselves, myself being myself.”

 7. “I am made and remade continually. Different people draw different words from me.” 

8. “She had the perpetual sense, as she watched the taxi cabs, of being out, out, far out to sea and alone; she always had the feeling that it was very, very, dangerous to live even one day.” 

9. “But nothing is so strange when one is in love (and what was this except being in love?) as the complete indifference of other people.” 

10. "Then I may tell you that the very next words I read were these – ‘Chloe liked Olivia …’ Do not start. Do not blush. Let us admit in the privacy of our own society that these things sometimes happen. Sometimes women do like women."

11. “Nothing thicker than a knife's blade separates happiness from melancholy.” 

 12. “I would venture to guess that Anon, who wrote so many poems without signing them, was often a woman.” 

 13. “When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?”

No comments:

Post a Comment