Wednesday 16 June 2021

Review: The Disorder Collection (Part 2)

Last month I reviewed three books from Amazon's six-book Disorder collection, with the promise that I would review the other three later. Dear reader, that day has finally come. I actually read the other books a little while ago, before my free Kindle Unlimited trial expired, but I am only just now writing this review because my previous few posts have been wholly occupied by the From & About Asia reading project. If you haven't already, I recommend going back and reading the first post I wrote about the Disorder collection before reading this one, but the choice is ultimately yours.

With that explanation out of the way, let's get into these books. As you may recall, Part 1 covered Un-girls, Anonymous, and The Best Girls, leaving Loam, The Beckoning Fair One, and Will Williams for this post. Just as in the last installment, I will be reviewing these in the order that I read them, starting with:

The Beckoning Fair One by Dan Chaon

Out of the whole collection, this is probably my second favourite story (Min Jin Lee's The Best Girls having retained its top spot since Part 1). It's a creepy, suburban gothic, almost fairytale-esque story about a boy and his teenage sister, who develops a strange obsession with a young man in their town. While I admit I'm not entirely sure what to make of the story's emphasis on the apparent danger of teenage female sexuality, I was a big fan of the story's atmosphere and generally eerie vibe. I also liked that Chaon wasn't afraid to make it a genuinely weird story, especially towards the end. It might be bizarre and even a little disturbing, but it definitely left an impression. 

Loam by Scott Heim

Like The Beckoning Fair One, Loam focuses on a group of siblings from a small, creepy American town who are somehow involved in strange goings-on. This was certainly an unsettling story, with one part in particular making me regret reading it in bed at night, but I didn't like it as much as Chaon's. It wasn't as effectively atmospheric, was quite slow to get going, and lacked a satisfying resolution. I was disinterested at the start, got my hopes up about half way through, and then felt disappointed by the end. It also bothered me a bit that [SPOILER, highlight to view] the crux of the story focuses on false accusations, including of sexual assault. Stories like this are getting to seem horribly overdone at best, and encouraging scepticism of survivors at worst. Even without that, though, I'm not sure I would have been terribly impressed with this story.

Will Williams by Namwali Serpell

This book is apparently based on an Edgar Allan Poe story which, full disclosure, I haven't read. I mention that because this story might have special resonance for those who have experienced the original, but unfortunately I do not fall into this category. Will Williams tells the story of its eponymous (and supposedly pseudonymous) main character, who is haunted from childhood onwards by a mysterious doppelganger of sorts: a boy who shares his name and gradually comes to assume other aspects of his identity. I found this story quite unnerving, which is probably a good thing, since the story is somewhat frightening. I appreciated how Serpell connected the concept of a doppelganger to social issues like the school-to-prison pipeline, which gave fresh meaning to an old trope. That said, I didn't find this story as immersive or its main character as compelling as some of the others in this series, so I wouldn't rank it as one of my favourites.

***

With that, we have reached the end of the Disorder collection. While I did enjoy reading this collection, I'm not sure if I would recommend it that strongly. The Best Girls is definitely my favourite and I would recommend that as a standalone story, as well as possibly The Beckoning Fair One if you want a straight-up horror tale, but I'm not sure I would do the same for any of the others. If you already have Kindle Unlimited and are looking for something a little strange and unusual, I would say go ahead and read the collection - or at least some of the stories in it. If you'd have to purchase it though, I would say to spend your money on something else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment