Wednesday 2 June 2021

Book Review: The Accusation by Bandi (From & About Asia Reading Project)

Hello, and welcome to another post about the From and About Asia Reading Project! Those of you who have read my previous posts about the project (and if you haven't, I recommend perusing my masterpost here) will know that I have been participating in it for the last month. This has meant choosing and reading two books, one for each of the following criteria:

Category I: a book by an author from that month's country

Category II: a book about the culture of the subregion where the country is from

May's country was North Korea, meaning that my Category I choice had to be a book by a North Korean author. For this, I chose The Accusation by Bandi. As for my choice for Category II, I have actually already written a post about the book I selected, Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982, which I ended up reading first for reasons I have specified in that review. Hopefully next month I will manage to read the books in what seems to be the correct order! My choices for June will come later, though. For now, let's get back to the topic of The Accusation

As far as I can tell, The Accusation is a very unique book in terms of North Korean literature, at least among those books which have been translated into English. While there have been many books written by North Korean defectors, The Accusation is the first I have heard of that was critical of but written by someone still living within the regime. The pseudonymous author, Bandi (whose name means "firefly" in Korean), wrote the collection of short stories secretly and hid his manuscript until a family member who defected was able to help him get it out of the country. The manuscript was then picked up for publication, and the rest is history.

The fact that The Accusation is so unusual made me determined to read it, even though I normally struggle with short story collections. Its stories follow different members of North Korean society as they live life under their country's oppressive dictator. Bandi definitely doesn't hold back from criticising the regime, with every single story drawing attention to its hypocrisy and brutality.

I admit I was a bit surprised by this. Somehow I thought that the stories (at least some of them, anyway) would show the reader a less critical look at daily life in North Korea, showing in some ways the normality of it for those who live inside the system. Instead, I found that the oppression of the North Korean state hung over the stories like thick smoke. It wasn't possible to look for metaphorical gaps in the regime, where perhaps some light might be able to slip through, because its influence was so suffocatingly absolute. It was disturbing to read story after story where the basic humanity of North Koreans was crushed inside the iron fist of the Kims' dictatorship.

For me, the standout story of the collection was definitely "The Stage", a heartbreaking tale of a family fractured by the son's desire to live, in his words, as a human being. A prominent theme in this story was the idea of "stage truth", which is described within the text as: "how actors perform a given play as though it were real life. To lie, in other words, but convincingly, so the audience will believe it is the truth."

Bandi extends this concept of stage truth to the behaviour of North Korean citizens within the regime, who are forced not only to perform whatever actions they are told to but also to do so believably, to convince their superiors that they are doing so out of a true inner devotion to the state and its ideals. I found this to be a very powerful comparison, which Bandi illustrates painfully well. Trying to comprehend the intimate, psychological oppression of the North Korean state is a task as horrible as it seems essential to understanding the lives of its people.

It's sort of difficult to review this book as I would another work of fiction, because I am aware of the horrible reality that inspired Bandi's stories. I feel like it's almost disrespectful to say "this is a great book, 10/10 would recommend", but I do want to say that it was a powerful and insightful book to read. If you are interested in North Korea or want to learn more about the struggles of the North Korean people, I would indeed recommend The Accusation. If the story surrounding the book's origins is true, then we are very lucky that this collection made it out of the country and into English-language publication. Bandi is an incredibly brave writer, and we are all fortunate to be able to read his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment